Monday, January 18, 2016

Favorite Shot | Something to Learn

It's raining once again in the Pacific Northwest which leaves me pining for warm summer days.

One of the photos I took last summer of the beautiful Drum Horse mare, Holly, at dusk is what bringing me through these gray days. I can almost feel the warmth of the sun falling behind the distant trees and can hear the therapeutic munching of horses on the dried grass. It's like a Summer Dream.

I listen to a lot of podcasts about photography and my favorite is Improve Photography. I've also read a lot of posts via Pinterest to learn more about manual settings and backlighting models in photography.

In this picture, I did exactly that.



85mm  |  f/4.0  |  1/250  |  ISO 100

One of the keys is to set your camera to Spot Metering, this is when the metering is set to expose (properly) the area which you have the focus point on. In my case, it was Holly. I also positioned the sun out of the composition, and enough out of the way so that there wouldn't be any sun flares. I didn't do anything drastic in processing the image, I strive to capture clean, timeless images.

Right now my summer dream of Holly is the desktop background of my computer. If you're interested in having her be the wallpaper of your computer monitor, you can get her here: Summer Dream Drum Horse Digital Photograph

No comments:

Post a Comment