Friday, October 10, 2014

Back to the Basics of Thesis Year

This past week I've been thinking about my goals I had two + years ago while I was in my Thesis year at Oregon College of Art and Craft. Heightened colors, abstract shapes, dynamic compositions, lost edges, and experimentation (all with the subject of horses) were just part of my final year at school.

Since homework isn't a daily occurrence, I've been focusing on traditional western scenes and commissioned pieces. I really enjoying commissions, someone opens up part of their world to me and I portray something close to them in possibly a new perspective.

Lately, I've been inspired to use brighter colors and different perspectives and compositions. At the Fall WSO Convention I learned that there are many different kinds of paintings. This has triggered my crave for bright colors. There are different kinds of artists; ones who make paintings people will hang in their homes (what I primarily do) and those who make paintings for shows. The different types usually aren't interchangeable. So, now I'm playing around with this idea and am working on a new painting with this in mind. 

Bright. Color. Bold. Different. Equine.  Sunlight. Shadows. 

No comments:

Post a Comment